FACULTY REQUIREMENT ONLY:
No later than February 15, faculty are required to submit a list of college service activities to be performed during the semester. This list is completed in section 1 of the attached form (Form XIII-E5) and submitted to the immediate supervisor. Section 2 and section 3 will be completed at the end of the semester and submitted on the last day of classes.
- College service activities may include:
- Serving as advisor to student activities;
- Serving on governance, ad hoc, college standing committees, system-wide task forces or committees, or labor-management committees;
- Preparing grant proposals;
- Participating in college, division, department or other related college meetings and/or activities;
- Participation in the improvement and development of academic programs and resources, including recruitment.
- Serving as a department chair/coordinator pursuant to Article XX and college-wide coordinators.
If faculty receive reassigned time to perform non-instructional activities such as department chair work, curriculum development, professional development activities, or administrative (non-managerial) duties, then these activities should be listed under the College Service Activities.
NB: When the 2000-2003 Contract was negotiated with an increase in instructional workloads, the MCCC Negotiating Team stated that there was an understanding at the bargaining table that attending department meetings, division meetings, and all-college meetings; and serving on one (1) committee would fulfill the contractual obligation of being available for college service activities for an average of four (4) hours per week. This requirement has not changed in subsequent contracts. In addition, the MCCC negotiators have made it clear that the purpose of the submission of this new list of college service activities to be performed is to provide the immediate supervisor with knowledge of your planned activities for the upcoming semester. The intent was not to increase college service workload, not to begin counting hours, minutes, or seconds, and not to obtain prior approval. Finally, at the end of the semester, the immediate supervisor will probably hold you accountable for the completion of all activities that you list.
Work to Rule: Since the MCCC remains on work to rule, the leadership advises the you fulfill the minimum college service requirements as stated above and do not volunteer for additional college service activities.
MCCC Grievance Coordinator
170 Beach Road #52
Salisbury, MA 01952
posted Feb 3, 2016