- Preside at all meetings of the Delegate Assembly (held once a year in April), of the Board of Directors (9 monthly meetings per year), and the Executive Committee (11 monthly meetings per year). NOTE: There are NO MEETINGS in July.
- Supervise all plans for the efficient work of the Council and perform such other duties as usually devolve upon a President.
- Convene the annual Delegate Assembly (April).
- Submit a report at the annual meeting of the Delegate Assembly.
- Appoint, after consultation with the Executive Committee and subject to the approval of the Board of Directors, the chair and members of all standing committees, unless otherwise noted in the Bylaws).
- Appoint the chair and members of ad hoc committees.
Be a member, ex officio, of all committees except the Nominations and Elections Committee
- Represent the Council at conferences, meetings, and before the general public.
- Represent the Council in its business with the Board of Regents of Higher Education or any successor organization. (NOTE: Successor organization is the Board of Higher Education (BHE)).
- Coordinate the implementation of policies and programs adopted by the Delegate Assembly and the Board of Directors.
- Monitor compliance of the Council and its chapters with the Bylaws and Rules of the MCCC and the MTA/NEA.
- Interpret the Bylaws in accordance with the parliamentary authority cited in these Bylaws.
- Perform all duties normally associated with this office.
A full-time member (faculty or professional staff) will receive $34,301 plus 4 courses per semester (or 4 days per semester for Professional Staff) of release from their regular workload in order to conduct the work of the Union. The full-time member continues to receive his/her full salary and benefits. It is expected that the full-time elected officer will NOT pick up extra courses under the DCE contract. The cost of the reassigned time to the MCCC (3 credit course at Step 2) is $27,384. A part-time/adjunct faculty member (not eligible to receive reassigned time) will receive the full yearly compensation of $61,685.