For some background see the Summer 2006 MCCC News. See "Breaking News" on page 1, and "The Tale of SB 2462: A Civics Lesson Revisited" on page 2.
IMPORTANT: See the information below: Establishing Retirement Credit for Previous Work Experience
November 17, 2006
From Donnie McGee's Report to the Board
- Perserverance and patience are the mantra
- The State Retirement Board will train HR personnel about the 03 Buyback procedure.
- The college presidents agree to the importance of this for members
- They will support this in any way they can
- They indicate that records beyond 7 years aren't kept, or if kept, easily accessed
- Members are advised to apply even if they aren't sure their service was "03"
October 16, 2006
Good news! It may be time to redeem credit for the years you and/or
your colleagues have put in as 03 employees in this state. A notice
about the purchase of creditable service for former “contract
employees” was printed on all state employees’ pay advice
statements of 9/22/06. I have copied that message below:
BEGINNING IN OCTOBER, IF YOU HAVE TEN YEARS OF CREDITABLE SERVICE WITH
THE STATE RETIREMENT SYSTEM AND HAD FORMERLY PROVIDED SERVICE AS A
“CONTRACT EMPLOYEE,” YOU MAY BE ELIGIBLE TO PURCHASE THAT
SERVICE AS CREDITABLE SERVICE TOWARD YOUR RETIREMENT. PLEASE CONTACT
THE STATE RETIREMENT BOARD AT http://www.mass.gov/treasury/srb.htm , and click on "Contract Service Buy Back". Or, call 617-367-7770, OR 1-800-392-6014 (WITHIN MA).
address below will bring you directly to the buyback form needed by
former “03” or “contract employees”. No buyback
form was sent with this notice. http://www.mass.gov/treasury/forms/ret/SBR_ServiceBuyBack4.pdf
If you have questions, contact the State Retirement Board at the
number(s) above and/or the Human Resources Office on your campus. If
you still have questions, please contact me.
Good luck to everyone.
Diana (Donnie) McGee
MCCC Vice-President & SAC Chair
Establishing Retirement Credit for Previous Work Experience
If interested in establishing retirement credit for previous work
experience, please review the September 2, 2006, guidelines for a
better understanding of the process. Two creditable service policies
are attached/linked to this message:
E-mail me if you have further questions:
- The State Retirement Board will include a notice of the new
(Chapter 161) Legislation in the payroll information of every
state employee sometime in the next six weeks - before Oct
2006, the date this policy goes into effect.
- A new form explicitly for Buyback related to 03
service is currently being created, so application for credit for
03 service cannot occur until this notice has been given and
form has been developed.
- Do not use the current Buyback Form on the State Retirement
- A revised link to the Creditable
Service Policy of November
16, 2001, includes a second page with examples of
service that have been credited under this law.
- Sections 3, 5, and 6 of Chapter 161 refer to veterans
benefits and are not discussed herein.
- If you have questions about this process after reading the suggested
guidelines on the link below, contact the State
Diana (Donnie) McGee
MCCC Vice-President and SAC Chair
September 3, 2006